Well Yogis, Winter is over and Spring is here! Spring is the time for get up and DO, it is the perfect time to detox. There is always a lot of focus on detox diets, but what about getting rid of the toxins from your home, life and mind? This blog is about cleansing every area of your life.
Detox your house
The average home contains hundreds of chemicals, many of which we cannot see smell or taste. The toxins found in common household and body-care products can wreak havoc on your nervous and immune systems, as well as your reproductive, endocrine, cardiovascular and respiratory systems (not to mention the environment!). By limiting your exposure to household toxins you will help reduce their negative impact on your body and the environment.
Here are 10 simple tips:
- Leave your shoes at the door: This will keep out nasty stuff such as road sealant, pesticides and lead dust.
- Clear your air: Open the windows whenever the weather permits and have green plants in every room as they are natural air detoxifiers.
- Cut out chemical home cleaners: Start cleaning with 100 percent NATURAL products like white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, castile soap, baking soda, lemon juice, and just plain water.
- Use plastics wisely: Some contain BPA, which is linked to cancer and Phtalates, which are linked to endocrine and developmental problems. So, try to avoid plastic food packaging and don't microwave food in plastic containers. Choose bottles and containers made from glass or BPA-free plastic.
- Avoid non stick pans, pots, bakeware and utensils: Teflon contains perfluorinated chemicals (PFC's) which have been linked to cancer and developmental problems.
- Keep house dust to a minimum: Dust = more toxins. Mop all surfaces at least once a week. Use a vacuum cleaner (with a HEPA filter, preferably) for your carpets and use a micro fibre cloth to dust surfaces.
- Get a water filter: Filtering your tap water is better than drinking bottled water.
- Use less toxic skin care and personal products: Deodorant, toothpaste, cosmetics, hair products, nail polish and perfumes are often loaded with toxins. Learn how to identify them and avoid them.
- Avoid Pesticides: Switch to environmentally-friendly alternatives and use water only when necessary.
Detox your life
Did you know that we Australians love the internet so much that we spend, on average, almost one day every week online. This can consist of checking social media feeds, scanning news, and checking emails. In truth, our average social media use is higher than that of any other country. Have you ever felt down after a few minutes on Facebook? Well, you’re not crazy or alone. In a phenomenon called ‘emotional contagion,’ studies show that negativity can spread quickly and ‘contaminate’ others through social-media. Maybe it is time that you take a break from your online world by detoxing from the internet.
Why don’t you try the following ideas for a week and see if notice any changes in your life:
- Place all your social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest) into a folder named ‘DO NOT TOUCH’ or remove them completely.
- Can’t do the above? Then at least turn off email and social media alerts.
- To make it hard for you to access social media from your PC, clear your browser’s cache and history and destroy all cookies.
- Switch off your phone in the evening.
Detox your body
There are a zillion detox diets/regimes out there, so we are going to keep it simple for you. This is all you need to do to get rid of many toxins introduced into the body via food. You just have to say:
- YES to plenty of fresh veggies, fruit, nuts, water, legumes and organic lean protein.
- NO to sugar, alcohol, caffeine, gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, artificial sweeteners
If you can’t afford to buy all organic produce, focus on buying organic for those items with the most pesticides: Apples, blueberries, capsicums, celery, cucumbers, grapes, lettuce, nectarines, peaches, potatoes, spinach and strawberries.
Detox your mind
We detox our body because we want to look good and feel good, but the body isn’t the only thing that determines if we feel good. Your mind and your emotions play a big role in how you feel. Try these simple ways to detox your mind and emotions:
- Start writing down all your emotions in a letter (you don't have to send it!) to get out all your feelings. Give yourself a regular outlet for all your emotions, regrets, and worries.
- Activate your senses, bringing awareness into your five senses smell, taste, touch, sight and sound directs energy away from your mind and back into your body.
- Think positive, your mind is like a sponge, absorbing everything it encounters, positive and negative. Catch negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones. Try reading or watching inspirational books, movies, podcasts or Youtube videos.
- Get up and move! Physically get up from where you are and do something with your body to get out of your head...walk, run, garden, go to the gym, or swim, the options are endless.
- Meditate, it takes as little as 5 minutes to detox the mind with mediation. Try this technique.
- Stop consuming the news or only access the news once a week because it can cause your mind to think further and deeper about the topic that we read or hear about
As you can see there can be more than one way to Spring clean your life. We challenge you to try a few of our suggestions and see how much better you feel. Go on, Spring into action!
Western Wellness Team
(Your friendly neighbourhood yogis)